This school was opened in 1942 as the Municipal Middle School with classes from VI to VIII and with 97 students. The first batch for the S.S.L.C. Examination was sent up in 1946, the year the school was made into a High School. In 1963 the school was taken over by the Government and became the Kodaikanal Government High School.
The medium of teaching is Tamil in the High School. But in 1978, Higher Secondary Classes were started in the English Medium. There are about 550 students in the High School and about 90 in the Higher Secondary Classes.