Kodaionline_logo
 
  
Organisations
  
  
:: Kodaikanal Clubs ::
THE KODAIKANAL CLUB

This club was started in the year 1887, originally by British and American Settlers for playing Tennis and other games with a hall and library. Though started for social events like picnics, parties and dances in 1887, now the club is a private one offers recreational facilities such as Tennis Badminton, Billiards, Table Tennis, Cards etc., The Club owns a fine library. The club has 14 Chambers and a dining hall providing meals. Though it is for members only, visitors can become temporary members an introduction by permit members. The club functions at seven road.

THE ROTARY CLUB OF KODAIKANAL

The club had 23 members in the beginning and the membership included persons of various nationalities living in Kodaikanal. This international character of the Club membership continues to this day. In the Rotary Year 1977 - 1978, the Club collected a much larger amount and organized an "Eye Camp" for the residents of villages around Kodaikanal. The Camp was co sponsored by the Rotary Club of New Forest, in the U. K.

In the Rotary Year 1977 - 1978, the Club also arranged to get funds, through Rotary International World Community Service, for the new X -Ray Unit in Van Allen Hospital as well as for starting 'Cottage Industries' in Kodaikanal Villages to benefit the Poorer families.


KODAIKANAL BOAT & ROWING CLUB

In the year 1940, the Boat Club was electrified. During world war II the Club boats were given free of charge to men of the Allied forces in uniform. The club offered facilities to them in organising a Regatta every fortnight.

Diamond Jubilee Celebration of the Club was planned to be celebrated in the midst of one of the Founder member Rajkumar B. R. Dorai Raja of Pudukkottai. The then Chief Minister of Madras State and 1st Governor General of India Hon'ble Shri. Rajagopalachariar agreed to preside over the function.

Centenary of the Lake was celebrate in May 1963. Hon'ble Thiru M. Bhakatavatchalam Minister of Tamil Nadu was the Chief Guest. The Platinum Jubilee was Celebrated in May, 1965.

Raja Vijayaraghunatha Thondaiman held the office of President for the Longest Period, sixteen years plus till his demise on 24thJuly, 1984. The Tourist lounge was named "Raja Vijayaraghunatha Thondaiman Tourist Lounge" in 1984 in honour of his selfless service to the Boat Club and the public of Kodaikanal.

The Boat Club Centenary Celebration was held on May 21st, 1990 Dr. M. Karunanidhi then Chief Minister was the Chief guest.

As on 31-03-1995 the Club has about 900 permanent members and life members. Life member category was introduced from June 1994. As on the date the Club has 65 Single, Double Row Boats, 10 Punts and 18, two seater and 4 seater pedal boats made of fiber glass.

The Club has started a Medical Centre through which free treatment and medicine is given to more than 1000 poor peoples of Kodaikanal town and other villages in Kodaikanal.


KODAIKANAL GOLF CLUB

The Members of the Kodaikanal Club thought that the Club should lay out a golf course in a suitable place. However, on June 17,1895, twelve enthusiastic golfers decided to start a separate Golf Club and so the Kodaikanal Golf Club came into being. The current membership is more then 300, with 58 Life members.

THE INDIAN CLUB

This Club was started in 1915, under the leadership of Justice Sir T. V. Seshagiri Ayyar of the Madras High Court. The main reason for starting this club was that in those days the membership of the Kodaikanal Club was not opened to Indian residents and visitors. Indian Club membership, however, was opened to all communities and nationalities. After Indians were admitted as members of the Kodaikanal Club, the fortunes of the Indian Club declined.